Yesterday, I’m at work, an hour away from the farm, and I get call that goes a little something like this:
Kit, this is your neighbor. There’s a donkey outside of the fence and chickens in the road. What do we do here?
I really feel like alcohol is the answer to this.
Saying that I had things “under control” might be an overstatement, but up until a week ago, I at least had things contained. Then one of the donkeys figured out how to get out of the fence, which he has done every morning and evening for the past week, without fail.
We just need to survive one more day of this, because I finally bit the bullet and hired a company to install the pasture fence on Wednesday.
In the meantime I’ve been trying to remedy the “chicken situation” by finishing their new coop.
Yes, that is a working door, and can we just stop and marvel for a moment at the accomplishment that is a one-woman-show getting a door installed on her own? I know, I know, it’s immodest to publicly give yourself a pat on the back, but holy shit, getting those nine screws in to place in such a way that allows free movement of the hinges while every law of gravity, physics, and measurement works against you? That’s an accomplishment that deserves to be recognized. Even if it’s only by the peanut gallery…
Pretty sure that’s a donkey smirk.
So the good news for the weekend was that, yes, the new coop has a working door. And the nesting box/workbench is finished.
The only thing holding me up is the ceiling. So I got about this far with the joists for the roof before running out of materials. Again.
I can probably finish this project off with another solid day of work, but with the little delinquents masquerading as farm animals around here I may have to hook up my utility lights and get it done in the next evening or two. It’s been a long time since I pulled a sawdust-filled all-nighter, but this just might be the week it happens.
After all, the donkeys are loose, and there are chickens in the road…