We’re in the middle of a swirling vortex of snow, insulation, drywall, inspections, wiring, trench digging, and pipe laying. It’s enough to make my head spin and too much to allow for a coherent post on anything.
Things I’m Thinking About Life
1. It’s freaking cold. I know we got mild weather way longer than we were supposed to, so I’ll take the 30-degrees and below in I have to, but do you think you could cut me a little slack on the constant instant-frosbite wind?
2. When I can’t stand it anymore and bury myself in the bed with three layers of covers pulled up to my eyeballs, I’ve been reading this book on my iPhone kindle app:
I love Bill Bryson books because I’m the kind of person who– as a child– followed everyone around going, “but, why?” over and over again until I got a satisfactory answer or a cosh on the head. And this topic is obviously very dear to my heart.
3. Incidentally, thank god for the Kindle app for iPhone, because while I really do perfer having an actual book between my hands, in the last six months that we’ve been living in the garage (and working full time, building a house, and keeping up this website) I’ve read 19 eBooks. So basically I’d be on my way to filling up the rest of our space with hardcovers if I hadn’t reigned myself in on buying actual books. Also, I need to find more room for bookshelves in the house, probably.
Some of the best of my recent reads are:
- True Spirit by Jessica Watson
- The Millenium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson
- The Bronte Collection (Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, and Agnes Grey)
- The Island by Elin Hilderbrand
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett
- Indulgence in Death by JD Robb
When I’m allowed to read Acutal Real books again, I’m going to start by re-reading The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle if I can find a copy (one of the first “books” that I loved, and probably haven’t read since the third grade), the Harry Potter books, Pride and Prejudice and Ender’s Game. Ah, the classics.
4. That’s it. Basically outside of “things relating to the house” I think about books, and freezing my ass off.
Things I’m Thinking About For The House
1. Interior Wood Doors: Mission vs. V-Groove Style
2. Master Bathroom Tile- I have this vague sense of wanting to use natural colors and stone for a spa-like feel, without going over the top. But really, I have no idea.
3. Tearing up the remaining wood flooring (it’s been cut away from the walls and warped from water, so there’s no salvaging it in its current state, but the possibility of planing it down to use in the master-bedroom). There’s not a lot of time, but this is going to be way easier to do now than after we’ve got walls on Thursday.
4. Whether or not there is a minimum temperature for hanging wood siding. The internet has no answers for me.
5. When I’m going to be able to put a washer and dryer in.
6. Whether or not I should order the kitchen cabinets now.
7. What color I’m going to paint the bedroom.
8. How we’re going to fur out the wall that runs down the stairwell to the basement.
9. How long until I can sit my happy ass under the heat lamp in our master bathroom and thaw out.
10. When I’m going to be able to stop thinking about the house and go to sleep. (See, this is why I’ve read 19 books in 6 months.)