Because I know everyone is wondering, I’ll start by letting you know that after a doctors appointment, massage, and a handful of muscle relaxers I can now turn my head exactly two degrees to the left, but only if I make a really stupid face and swear. Since both of those things are fairly common occurrences anyway, it’s like being back to normal with slightly less range of motion. Actually, this is a lie. It effing sucks, not just because of the pain, but because all I can see are all of these wasted hours that I could be doing my actual real job or tearing a bathroom apart, but instead I’m just sitting around drugged up trying to negotiate a truce with the right side of my neck.
Ugh. So frustrating. But I’m done whining now and plan to live vicariously through this post of things I did this weekend, one of which resulted in my current inability to see anything to the left of my body. Okay, now I’m done whining.
My three goals for the weekend were, in order of importance: to be able to pull my car into the garage, to locate the top of the workbench in the shop, and to make some progress on my door projects.
So I guess let’s start with how I essentially own a three-car garage that was incapable of holding even one car.
Yeeeah. I’ve been avoiding tackling this mess for three reasons. 1.) There is some serious disgusting in there in the form of dead animals and garbage bags full of old food that were in the garage when I bought the place. 2.) I had nowhere to put the not-digusting portion of the mess and I don’t organize things unless I have somewhere to put them. And 3.) I had no reason to clean it up since the doors didn’t function and there was no point to parking inside during the summer anyway.
However most of those excuses were eliminated when I got the garage doors fixed, so I finally had to sit down and have a little talk with myself that went something like, “Girl, did you or did you not decide to buy a farm in the middle of nowhere all by yourself? You did? Well guess the hell what, it’s not all laying in the grass and frolicking through the cornfields. Sometimes you have to dig deep and shovel up a dead bird (or three) and the entire contents of someone else’s refrigerator that has been decomposing in your garage for a year. Suck it up and get to work.”
So I did.
I made my yuck-face the entire time, but I got it done.
(Climbing inside the dumpster and jumping on the cardboard boxes to crush them is high up on the list of ways I potentially injured myself this weekend.)
Other than shoveling the shit out of the parking space, there was also a little electrical work that needed to be done in order to actually be able to pull my big yellow beast of a car in there. Notice my not-at-all hillbilly way of getting power to the garage door opener…
Yeah, so the whole floating-extension-cord thing had to go. There were already outlets wired in the ceiling joists, so essentially all I needed to do was move one of the outlets closer.
Drilling through that joist is also high on the list of literal pain-in-the-neck projects. Suffice it to say my drill bit was dull and it required several minutes of doing stupid things on top of a ladder.
And, while I was at it I hung a couple of lights in the workshop as well…
I know, I need to tack those cords up out of the way before I take one out with a wayward 2×4. Also, you can see why locating the actual work bench may be difficult in that disaster.
Anyway, back to the project at hand. The end result of my Saturday efforts was that I smelled like a dead animal. Oh, and I could actually do this…
Every time I walk outside I have a holy-shit-that-is-an-actual-car-in-my-actual-garage moment. All of the houses I’ve owned have had garages, but I’ve never actually parked in one of them. I mean, I physically lived in one for eighteen months, but the car still had to stay outside. So this is a bit of a novelty, and I think I’m going to quite enjoy it when I don’t have to scrape three inches of ice off my car in the morning.
So that was the garage part of the weekend. Meanwhile, back at the batcave…
I sprung for some utility shelving when I picked up the fluorescent lights, and as you would expect from $77 made-in-china shelves they were a bitch to put together. Let’s just say I used the hammer, uh, liberally.
And now that I mention it, this is probably the third project that may or may not have resulted in the inability to move my head. Lucky for me it absolutely resulted in this…
Well hello there, workbench.
Check this out. I can almost guarantee you it will never look this clean again…
In fact, it was looking too clean for comfort when I took these pictures, so shortly thereafter I attempted to check item #3 off my weekend list.
The basement door is basically done until I can lift enough weight to get it in the house and install it, so to keep myself busy (ha ha) I started on the laundry room doors. Those of you who follow DIYdiva’s facebook page got a little sneak peek on Sunday, but here’s the progress.
I really wanted chicken wire in the “windows” but I also need to obscure the view to my laundry room for obvious reasons that include an allergic reaction to folding clothes, so I came up with the idea of using frosted glass with chicken wire over it.
Uh, turns out I did not invent this concept, actually…
I mean, the legitimate stuff is $45/sf and would cost more than the doors to purchase (which is a dangerous thing for me to know since I’m assuming my late night paypal transactions will only be exacerbated by the addition of muscle relaxers to my evening routine) so I’m probably still going to try to fake it for less. Regardless, I’ve got a little more wood work and some painting to do before the doors are glass-ready, but I will say they are coming along pretty nicely.
So that was my weekend, and I’m sure hoping all of that work can hold me over for at least a week while my neck and I try to work out our communication issues.