There’s probably going to be a point during this post where you raise your eyebrows at the computer and say, “you did what?” So I’m just going to preface this by telling you I’ve been both a.) snowed in, and b.) a little under the weather for the last two days. Not knocked on my ass, mind you, but just germ-ridden enough that I can only go up and down the ladder while painting the office a few times before I’m exhausted, but not enough so that I can lay around doing nothing without going crazy.
Which means–try not to fall out of your chair– I’ve actually washed and folded all of the laundry in my house.
I also finally figured out what to do with this piece of wood I hung over the doors to the office a few weeks ago…
I thought about a lot of things… painting something on it, finding old metal letters to use, finding new metal letters to use, making letters out of tools a la this picture I took back on Memorial:
Nothing felt quite right, until I saw this pin on Pinterest:
(If you’re going to pin this, please click and repin from the original source so it gets attributed to the right person. And look at me being Miss Pinterest Manners, between that and the laundry I don’t even know myself anymore.)
Anyway, the string look isn’t what I was going for on this piece either, but the use of nails got me thinking. Specifically, got me thinking about a 20 pound box of rusty brad nails that I found in the barn when I moved in and couldn’t bring myself to throw away, even though I had no idea what the hell to do with them.
Then a little lightbulb clicked on, which is how I found myself spending four hours indian-style on the floor last night doing this…
Originally I didn’t intend to space the nails so closely, but I realized it was going to be imperative if I ever wanted to read the words on the board. So basically what I’m saying is that I didn’t realize what I was getting myself into when I started this project…
But then I effing loved the way it looked, so of course I’m in for the long haul now. (Um, sound familiar anyone? This is probably a theme in my life that should be explored, but I’m going to be too busy over the next month pounding thousands of rusty nails into this board.)
This is what I think of as a “puzzle project”… as in, not something you do all in one sitting. It’s like having a jigsaw puzzle spread out on the table, and every once in a while when you’re bored, sitting down to fit a few pieces together. Except with a hammer and a higher likelihood of contracting tetanus.
Right now I’m 4.5 letters down, with 31 letters to go, which I’m guessing means at least 15 more hours on the dining room floor.
What I really love about this is how it doesn’t stand out too much in terms of color… the letters are made almost entirely from the relief. And you know, it just feels right.
So all I have to say is God bless the U.S. and the invention of cold medicine.