The pasture fence may actually qualify as the most overwhelming project of 2013, which was completely unexpected because the pasture fence that MysteryMan and I put up at Memorial was pretty uneventful. It took a weekend or two, and then like magic, “hey look, a pasture fence!” No big deal.
So, I might have underestimated fencing in an area that a.) is twice as large, b.) is located on hills instead of nice flat land, and c.) already has actual donkeys in it that are escaping pretty much every day. Plus my brain has never really been able to grasp the fact that doing anything with twice the work and half the manpower is actually going to take significantly longer than the first time around.
In reality, I thought this project may never end. Particularly on those days when my neighbor would call me and tell me my donkey was standing in the middle of the road, playing chicken with a school bus. (Luckily I’m on a dirt road, and the school bus drivers are used to going slow and watching out for livestock.)
It also made quick work of repositioning the last 10 T-posts that were in the wrong spot.
And solidified my belief that in 2014 I need to buy a tractor. One with a post-hole auger. Or, you know, I could keep doing this for all of eternity.
I bought that post hole digger a full decade ago when I tackled this fence which was my very first “big” house project. Never would have guessed than ten years later, I’d still be digging an unending string of effing post-holes.
Both my mother and my neighbor were instrumental in most of the installation of this fence, but I found it fitting to tackle the last roll of fencing on my own…
Goodbye clothesline fence…
(Can’t believe I got away with that shit for as long as I did.)
I still have about a dozen to put in, but the fence is secure for the moment. And, you know, pretty much done. That’s 250 lf of split rail, 9 4×4’s, 2 6×6’s, 45 T-posts, 550 lf of wire fence, and 135 fence ties that had to be individually secured. So… not that surprising it took a full month to get this done, actually.
I need to trim down some of the 4×4’s a do a little general clean up, but the donkeys are now fully contained (as far as I know.)
And while, yes, this was a long, somewhat-expensive pain-in-the-ass project. I get donkey hugs every day.