It’s hard to believe that it has been five weeks since I started the move-in countdown, but time starts moving in kind of crazy ways when you live in a garage. For instance, I would gauge the time it takes to get from one end of the unheated part of the garage to the refrigerator at he other and back (barefoot and in pajamas) to be somewhere around eternity. But it feels like surprisingly less that thirty days that I’ve been falling into bed half covered in paint and clumps of drywall after working on the walls for hours.
Because it’s not a great time for progress shots (who really wants to see a half-painted wall?) here’s a look at my move-in list progress:
- Finishing all of the drywall seams and texturing all of the walls
- Prepping both bathrooms for tile
- Ordering said tile, and cabinets, and interior doors, and a large bottle of xanax
January deserves a high-five, since we accomplished most of the things on that list without the prescription drugs. We’re only waiting a few more weeks to purchase the doors because the piggy bank is still recovering from the beating it took with the tile purchases.
- Tiling the shower, master bath, and full bath tub surround
- Priming and painting the master bed/bath, full bath, and laundry room
- Installing both bathroom floors
It seems like I’ve put in a lot of hours of work to only get to check half a bullet off of this list. Hold on…
- Pick out paint for bedroom
- Pick out paint for full bath
- Pick out paint for master bath
- Texture walls in bedroom
- Texture walls in full bath
- Texture walls in master bath
- Paint full bath
- Paint half of Master bedroom
Okay, I feel better. And yes, I do occasionally indulge in a little “list inflation” to keep my spirits up for the 437 more hours of staring at walls in my near future. You know you write stuff on your lists just to check it off right away too.
I expect the full bath will be done by the end of the month, but I’m not holding out much hope for the master bath since I’ve almost completely given up on finding an appropriate floor tile. I am probably going to be an over-achiever and finish the shelving in the master closet this month though.
- Installing all bathroom cabinets, and possibly some kitchen cabinets
- Installing bedroom floors and trim (which might mean planing down all the flooring we tore out of the old living room)
- Installing bathroom trim
- Building custom shelves for the master closet
- A very. thorough. cleaning.
Oh, March, you just can’t come soon enough. And not just because our little space heaters can only barely keep up with the negative eight temps out here.