Hi, my name is Kit. And I’m addicted to starting projects.
I don’t know that it’s comfortable to always have a dozen (or two) unfinished projects laying around in my life. It often results in stubbed toes and the feeling that there’s always something I should be doing. But, if I’m completely honest, there is something comforting in it. It means that an idea I had won’t be forgotten, won’t get lost on a post-it note that ends up stuck to the bottom of someone’s shoe, won’t keep getting shuffled farther and farther down the list for more important things like showers and sleeping. Once it’s started it’s a real tangible thing, and once it’s about 90% of the way done and I’ve successfully brought some part of my idea to life? Yeah… then we’re in the danger zone.
So I’ve been inspired by Allison @ House of Hepworths and Sarah @ The Ugly Duckling House, who have both been pulling projects back from the brink of project-purgatory and checking things off their “unfinished” lists.
I’m not going to fool myself into believing I’ll never start another project until the one before it is complete, but I’m actually great at following rules that I make for myself. (Seriously, I once gave up french fries for a whole year…craziness.)
So the rule is: I will only ever have 5 unfinished projects at a time, and if I want to start a new one I either have to finish something else, or toss it. Five projects, I think, is enough not to feel like I’m stifling my creativity if I run into a bit of a block with something I’m working on. Cough-master bath vanity-cough.
And of course five minutes after I came up with that rule, I thought up a fabulous plan for a bed made from plumbing parts, which obviously I want to start tomorrow. But rules is rules.
First I have to get my current list of unfinished projects down to a manageable number. This is what it looks like right now:
- Finish labeling and filling my 24 new spice jars, and then pack them away until I have a kitchen to put them in. (Also, the label PDF in this post has been updated for any of you who noticed the “Coriander” label still had placeholder text.)
- Draw 4 more tiny planets and finish up this frame.
- Prime and paint the kitchen.
- Poly and re-hang the doors to the master bath.
- Finish Doors for master bath vanity.
- Finish tile around master bath tub and fireplace.
- Finish tile counter in mom’s bathroom.
- Finish chandelier makeover for friend’s closet.
- Hang door trim in bathrooms.
- Assemble the second PB inspired pinboard I cut all of the parts for.
And I have to knock six of these off the list before I even think about starting my awesome bed idea? Not to mention the 437 other project ideas I have floating around in my head? It’s going to be a busy
What about you guys? Anything on your unfinished project list? (Please say yes so I don’t feel like the only crazy project-collecting person out here.)
Also if any of those unfinished projects have to do with paint, don’t forget to enter the Wagner Power Painter giveaway here, so you can check them quickly off your list.